Friday 31 October 2014

Sometimes I feel like Dick Loudon from Newhart; the semi-successful D.I.Y. author who dreams of writing great works of fiction. But always seems too busy with the surreal circumstances of his "real life" to get around to it.

Other times I feel like myself and work on turning those dreams into reality by researching how independent authors today are turning the tables on traditional publishing. Especially by utilizing billion dollar self-publishing venues such as Amazon and social media promotion.

As an author I am lucky to earn between 10 to 15% percent royalties via traditional publishers. Amazon averages 70%, plus has a slew of cool marketing tools and their best-selling Kindle platform. Which I admit to using on my own Android powered pad.

It was while doing such research that I discovered Kareem S. Butler, author of Flight of The Falcon, the first in a series of original eBooks. What I really liked about this independent author was the dedication to developing an entire Wiki based his unique story-telling worlds.

This kind of speculative fiction hearkens back to the "years best" sci-fi and fantasy compilations that I cut my teeth on as a young gaffer. Thanks again to Kareem for agreeing to this interview.

Q. Who are you?

A. I am Kareem S. Butler a first generation Star Wars Geek who loves ancient history and mythology. I am an alumni of Brooks Institute of Photography, the author of 9 World Chronicles and web master for Mytholipedia.com and TheBookOfEarth.com websites.

Q. Where are you from?

A. I grew up in Central California, living most of my childhood in Fresno, Ca . I lived the bulk of my life in Central and Southern California, before settling in the South West a few years ago.

Q. What is your product, service or promotion?

A. My product is a science fiction novel series entitled The 9 World Chronicles, which tells the story of mankind’s fight to free itself from an alien enslaver.

Q. What makes you laugh?

A. Everything Dave Chappelle does, South Park, Karl Pilkington and currently the Adult Swim series “Black Jesus”.

Q. What is something most people don't know about you?

A. My favorite TV show of all time is the short lived science fiction series “Cleopatra 2525” starring actress/model Jennifer Sky, and sci-fi Queen Gina Torres.

Q. What are you working on right now?

A. I am currently working on the second book of the 9 World Chronicles series. I don’t have a working title for it yet. I am also teaching myself Anime Studio for a little animation project that is simmering on the back burner.

Q. Who are your influences?

A. My influences were George Lucas, JRR Tolkien, and the Greek poet Homer. Its funny to say but the first time I saw Star Wars was literally a life changing event. It sparked an interest in film making and story telling which would lead me to pursue an education in film production and a desire to tell my own story.

Q. If you could communicate one thing to the entire world simultaneously, what would it be?

A. Chill out, we are all just humans. The world that we share is a big, scary place with mysteries by the ton and we have to stick together if we want to succeed as a species. We have some huge challenges facing us and this planet; we really need an all hands on deck approach. Many of the barriers between the various people of our planet are self created. Let’s try to step up.

Q. What advice do you have for anyone who wishes to follow in your footsteps?

A. Give in to your creative side, nurture it, and never let it die. It’s very easy to give up or get distracted. Embrace the process, enjoy being able to do what it is that you love. The success comes later, some times when you are not even thinking about it.

Q. What is one thing you would do to make the world a better place?

A. I would inspire people to be more open minded, to see the world from a bigger perspective than just your own side of the fence. We often create our enemies by choice, in ideology, in culture and in beliefs. To understand an equation we look at all sides, taking into account what divides it as well as what adds to or subtractions from it. We have to understand each component to understand the whole. Without perspective this we can find no answers, with out this we find no resolution.

Q. What makes for a good question?
A. A good question doesn’t have an easy answer. It forces the challenger to look for answers within his or her self  as well as from external sources.


Thanks again Kareem for your insightful answers. I had completely forgotten about Cleopatra 2525 and continue to stand amazed at the life-altering legacy of Stars Wars. For anyone interested in an original read by an insightful speculative fiction author I highly recommend Flight of the Falcon. Can't wait for the sequel!


No comments:

Post a Comment